You can literally hear the picture say “Put your oxygen mask first before you help the person next to you.”
Some of you might think that it is so selfish of the mother to put on the mask first. But, if you give it a thought, the mask is symbolic of self-care.
We feel empathetic towards so many people - our children, husband, wife, friends and others, but if we don’t love ourselves first, how will we have the capacity to love others?
Putting the mask first is not selfish, it is self-care! Even in dictionary terms, self-care is the practice of taking an active role in protecting one's own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
Self-care is underrated but is crucial for one's holistic well-being! So, with this piece we want you to discover it as a revolution and inculcate in your life everyday.
Why is Self Care Revolutionary?
Let us first understand what revolution is.
Revolution is a gradual shift in power from one institution to another. French, American and more, these revolutions changed the shape of the world.
The Self Care Revolution is meant to change us, from within and how we survive.
All our lives we let others influence our perceptions of ourselves more than ourselves. Self-care helps us get back that power. Here, self-care is a shift too, a shift in power from the other institutions to ourselves, which makes it so revolutionary.
The Self Care Revolution is not a new concept, it’s been around us for 1000s of years because our ancestors simply understood the need for it!
Since inception, individuals have been practicing the rituals of self care! If we observe Ayurveda, the oldest healing science, it falls under the same umbrella. It also propounds on doing things that are essential for one’s physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
You’ve got it all wrong..
Truth be told, it's hard. Especially when women reach that age in her life and she is burdened with multiple roles of a mother, wife, daughter, entrepreneur, employee and so many more, things tend to get rocky sometimes.
But we want you to understand that you don't need to set fires on yourself to keep others warm.
You’ve got it all wrong! They say that fill your cup so that you can pour it into others.
But we saw this beautiful reel on Instagram by @carlyesperia that will help us change your narrative today. She preaches, fill your own cup so much that it automatically overflows to others.
That is what self-care is. Loving yourself and being there for yourself so much that you eventually radiate that love to others.
Why should you practice self care?
“Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health.” — Raphailia Michael, Counselling Psychologist
Now cutting to the chase, I will mention three most powerful reasons that will help you convince why self care is crucial!
- It boosts your productivity - When you’re not the burning candle at both ends, you become productive everywhere.
- It provides you with self-esteem - When you prioritise yourself over someone else you start identifying your intrinsic value.
- It keeps your emotions in check - When you’re relaxed from within, you don’t easily get overwhelmed under pressure.
First Step Towards Self Care - Eliminating the shame and guilt
No matter the “whys” and how crucial self-care is, it always ends up being the last element in our to-do list and even worse, we sometimes let it go.
Even if we miraculously say “no” to them and yes to “ourselves”, we end up feeling extremely guilty about it.
- This might be because we look at it as a “feel good”, “guilty pleasure” or a “sinfully indulgent” activity and think that we are indulging, which is a selfish act.
- Some of us view it as a zero-sum game. It means doing something at the cost of something else.
But you need to change the definition. You do self care because it is essential for your existence.
It is about your physical, emotional and spiritual well-being. It isn't that much about “doing” as it is about “BUILDING A MINDSET.”
Let’s get relevant and explain to you with an example of the materialistic things we love. You know how a car needs regular maintenance to run smoothly long term? We are just like the car and we need regular maintenance to remain fueled up!
Now, ladies, let’s look at some GUILT-FREE ways of practicing self care!
- Assess what you need - Identify your needs in terms of physical, mental or spiritual self care arena. For example, you might be doing well with your workouts, but be always overwhelmed. Watch a meditation video or practice simple breathing.
- Observe what works for you - Like fashion, food, skincare, identify your self care style. For you it can be hitting the gym, for others it can be cooking healthy recipes. Identify and incorporate these activities.
- Formulate Simple and Flexible Plans - Start by including one self-care activity in your daily schedule and take it from there, lets say, doing a simple 15 minutes yoga. Audit your routine from time to time and keep making changes.
- Create a Support System - Stick to people, apps and calendars that, you know, will help you weave self-care into your everyday lifestyle.
To wrap it up, self care isn’t supposed to be hard. It isn’t indulging, it is essential. Apply everything that we just talked about in your everyday life and you will see a really positive impact in your life.
Do you have a busy lifestyle and don’t know how to inculcate self care in your daily life? Read Three tips on how to include self-care in your busy lifestyle here!